Thursday, April 21, 2011

Renault driver Robert Kubica to leave hospital soon


Renault driver Robert Kubica says he will leave the Italian hospital where he has been recovering from serious injuries "very soon".
Kubica suffered a partially severed right hand and fractures in his right leg and arm when he crashed during a rally in February.
"I will leave hospital very soon," Kubica, 26, said. "I don't have a precise date but I hope within 10 days.
"I am starting to feel a lot better. My strength and weight are increasing."
Kubica was injured just over 10 weeks ago when competing in the Ronde di Andorra, three days after setting the fastest time at the first pre-season F1 test in Valencia.
While Nick Heidfeld is acting as his stand-in at Renault, Kubica has been slowly recovering from his injuries, which could still prevent him from returning to F1.
Renault team doctor Dr Riccardo Ceccarelli warned last month it wasimpossible to predict when Kubica might resume racing but the Polish driver is remaining positive about his progress.
"My recovery is moving in the right direction," Kubica said in a message to his fans on the Renault website.
"The mobility of my hand is limited but this is pretty normal in this kind of situation, because the connected arm muscles are still very weak due to the long period of immobility.
"Things are definitely improving day by day. As soon as I leave hospital, I'll head to my home in Monaco for a short period of rest.
"Then I'll move to Dr Ceccarelli's facilities in Italy where I will start a deep rehabilitation programme."
Despite a few reliability issues, Renault have made a promising start to the season as Vitaly Petrov claimed third in the first race in Australia with Heidfeld achieving the same result in the second race in Malaysia.
Kubica says he has been watching the season from the sidelines and has been keeping in regular contact with the team.
"There's no doubt it's been a strong start to the season," said Kubica. "The potential of the car, which I already noticed in the Valencia test, seems to be confirmed.
"The guys did a great job with this car and I'm sure they'll continue to improve.
"Since the season started, I've been liaising with my engineers on what's been going on over race weekends.
"They are sending me the race reports so I can remain up to date and fully informed, as if I were at the track.
"[Renault team principal] Eric Boullier is also in constant contact, keeping up to date with my general condition.
"From my side, I'll try to use my difficult experience to come back as strong as I possibly can."



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...