Friday, March 18, 2011

Kobayashi speaks of Japan 'scenario worse than movie'



The Sauber team's Japanese driver Kamui Kobayashi has spoken of his anguish after a trip to his homeland in the wake of the earthquake and tsunami.

The north-east of the main island was devastated by a major quake a week ago which killed at least 6,000 people and has triggered a nuclear alert.

Sauber driver Kobayashi said: "It is hard to believe that a scenario worse than in any movie has become reality.

"I am worried the whole country could disappear - it is just too awful."

Kobayashi's first race of the season is next week's Australian Grand Prix.

His Sauber team announced on Thursday that they would carry a message to show solidarity with the people of Japan in the Melbourne race, which takes place on 27 March.

The two Ferrari-engined C30 cars of Kobayashi and Mexican F1 rookie Sergio Perez will sport the slogan 'May our prayers reach the people in Japan', in Japanese characters.

The Swiss Sauber team have been buoyed by their performances in testing, with Perez setting the third-fastest time of the winter at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya. 

It means that Kobayashi, 24, approaches his second full F1 season with mixed feelings.

"Since the earthquake and the tsunami news is getting worse every day - there is nothing positive to look forward to at the moment," he commented.

"We need to stay together and we need help from all over the world.

"I feel I have to do something, I want to help but there is nothing I can do by myself.

"For the time being, what I can do is to be focused and fully concentrate on the season's opening race in Melbourne.

"Originally I was looking forward to this with great joy. Now what I really want to do is my very best to achieve a good result, which perhaps can at least give the people in Japan a little bit of hope and positive news."
from bbc sport

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...