Monday, May 16, 2011

Expectations: L.A. Noire [Xbox 360]

In case you haven't heard, Rockstar Games is coming out with a new movie-I-mean-video-game tomorrow, L.A. Noire. I don't want to put pressure on Rockstar or anything, but I have a feeling that this gaming experience will change everything.

After their last game, Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar better be presenting something that can at least stand up next to their last, arguable best work. To say the least, Redemption is (in this fat bastards humble opinion) one of the greatest games ever created. Fantastic story and dark/witty humor collide with ridiculously stunning visuals of the southwest and enjoyable gameplay to create a beastly game.

I believe that L.A. Noire is going to take things to the next level and possibly change the gaming world forever. The realism derived in L.A. Noire will not come from the purity and crispness of the environment, the pixel count, the frames per second, or the color, but the characters themselves. You may recognize the protagonist, that's because he's an actor. I can't believe I get to say this about a video game, but so are the rest of the cast members.

In this game you play a detective, and as a detective it's your job to find clues and string them together. A key part of learning these clues is from interrogation and questioning. For this reason, Rockstar uses a system to accurately and VERY realistically capture and animate facial expressions of the actors. The point is to make their faces look as real as possible so that reading them will be as easy (or as hard) as reading a real persons face.

Adding this to the reputation Rockstar has gained for story, I'd say L.A Noire is going to be less video game and more interactive film. For this reason, I think it will change everything. It won't be an overnight sensationalist change, but in 10 years I think we'll look back and see Rockstar's L.A. Noire as the precursor, the grand daddy, and the originator of interactive film.

I'm expecting big things Rockstar, please don't let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...