Sunday, December 18, 2011

Triumphant Return & A Hearth's Warming Eve

I'm back and I'm posting again. I was going to start up a new blog but this one is just so much easier to work with. It looks good, it feels good, I just love it. So, let's get this monster warmed up again shall we? Milk toasty, crap written, ranting, sounds like a good place to start.

Before I start it's important that you know I'm a brony. I'm an avid fan of the show My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and I'm not afraid to say it. I'm not gay or any other derogatory term you could possibly think up. I don't draw ponies, I don't collect toys, and I still think that the older incarnations of My Little Pony were retarded and girly. The show has found an unintended fandom in young men like myself, for a number of reasons that I will likely explain at another time, but not now. Haters gonna hate, bronies gonna pony.

Knowing this, it should come as no surprise to you that I'm about to talk about the latest episode.

Hearth's Warming Eve premiered Saturday morning, something I missed because it mysteriously did not record as planned. My brother (also a brony) and I suspect that there is a mean streak of anti-pony sentiment in one of our parents and they're taking out their misguided and unreasonable frustrations on us passive aggressively by canceling scheduled and deleting old recordings of our beloved show. As a result we had to wait til this morning to see the new episode, and although the 24 hours were grueling it was surely worth the wait.

Ever since I read the plot synopsis a week ago I've highly anticipated the episode; it promised to tell the origin story of Equestria (the land where all the ponies live). The episode was awesome, as usual, and included some genuinely funny moments. However, most exciting to my brother and I was the official introduction of what we're calling "spirit/god ponies". Over the last 39 episodes it has become more and more apparent that Princesses Celestia and Luna, the rulers of Equestria, are in fact gods. A few episodes ago Rarity, (one of the main characters) even used the phrase "As Celestia as my witness...". This makes the show even cooler than it already is. The fact there might very well be a Roman or Greek like pantheon of god ponies with spirit ponies and whatnot just makes everything 20% cooler. This episode had the introduction of angry winter spirits that really drove it home, this Equestria is very fucking badass. I just can't wait til they introduce the King and Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...