Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Tomorrow's Thanksgiving! Badassery Will Surely Ensue.

Tomorrow is the fourth Thursday this November, and we all know what that means, it's time for Thanksgiving, the lesser of the two religious yet somehow Federal holidays. Since 1942 this day has been legally recognized by the Federal government as a holiday, so if you happen to work for the government, you get the day off!

We all know the story of the pilgrims and their amazing harvest, and how they annually gave thanks and gathered together to eat the surpluses and spoils of another wonderful year of hard work. Technically, this makes Thanksgiving inherently religious in nature. No matter what you were thanking, Jesus, Allah, the crops themselves, or some pagan god of the harvest, by definition it's religious in nature.

I know you'll ask about it so I'll elaborate... You see by giving thanks to anything on the fourth Thursday of November for a bountiful harvest, you're religiously executing a ritual, albeit a yearly one. Yes, even those New Age nudists from HELLA-Nor-Cal who claim so feverishly to be Atheists. As long as they celebrate Thanksgiving as a day of thanks for the harvest, they're being religious.

This isn't a bad thing.

In fact, me being a Christian, I rather like the idea of two Christian holidays being Federally recognized, even though it's arguably unConstitutional (see Amendment 1). For this reason I get kind of pissed off when I remember that some people are devout Atheists. There is this odd movement that I'm becoming more aware of to insist on calling Thanksgiving "Turkey Day."

I find this total fucking bullshit.

If you don't like the fact that Christians won another battle and got Thanksgiving turned into a Federal holiday then go to work or don't celebrate it. I swear the immaturity level of some people is amazing. They don't want to acknowledge its roots (mostly dead ones) but they'll surely celebrate it!

Just call it Thanksgiving fuck dammit. Although the roots of Thanksgiving are inherently religious in nature, that doesn't mean it has to be, or is, anymore. Giving thanks to something for the harvest is religious, but giving thanks to someone who worked for the harvest is not.

Since most of us don't work all year for a harvest in November, we really don't thank something anymore anyways. You can be thankful to and for your family, friends, home, food, wealth, and whatever else. You don't have to thank a God or the Earth or Math or anything like that, just thank the people who made it happen, thank them for not dieing. Thank them for deciding not to murder you because of your retarded choices to degrade a good hearted holiday by replacing it's name with a fucking bird.

Fucking relax. Be thankful that I don't come over there and back-hand your ass, at the very least.

Now that I got all my fury about the interstate Atheist conspiracy to degrade Thanksgiving out, I feel much better. Thanks for reading this far.

A big part of Thanksgiving day is the football. Somehow it just perfectly captures the spirit. Thank God those guys care more about the money than their families. All day long and into the night, men, their sons, and their daughters' boyfriends/fiancées/husbands will gather around the boob tube and watch teams across leagues and levels play the all-American game.

Well, lucky us! This year's Thanksgiving games for the pros totally fucking suck.

12:30P EST --- NE Patriots (8-2) at DE Lions (2-8) on CBS
4:30P EST --- NO Saints (7-3) at DA Cowboys (3-7) on FOX
8:20P EST --- CN Bengals (2-8) at NY Jets (8-2) on NFLN

Fortunately, we have NCAA Football to save the day, err weekend. For all you Arizonafags out there (I know there's a lot of you) The Big Game for the Territorial Cup is this weekend! Also, this weekend #2 Auburn (11-0) takes on #9 Alabama (9-2) in the Iron Bowl, with BCS positions on the line, it will be one hell of a game!

Finally, I want to discuss the real meaning of Thanksgiving. Being thankful. First of all, want to thank you for reading and if you read consistently, thank you so much for the support and readership. Makes me feel useful and proud to be all of your friends. I'm thankful for my family (even though they don't read) and I'm thankful for all of my best friends. I want to thank all of the people who read my tweets and get mad at me when I stop. I want to thank all the people who put up with my millions of updates that personally get sent to their phones. I want to thank my dogs and my neighborhood animals for being entertaining. I want to thank Jenn Sarina, my ex-girlfriend, for being a constant source of inspiration and a thorn in the side of my brain (I can't stop thinking about her) it keeps me moving forward and gives me something to strive for.

Last, and most importantly I want to thank God for everything, and I mean everything. As dark and cold as things get for me in my head, I can always step back and see that it's all here because of Him, whoever or whatever He is and it's all so wonderfully, masterfully, complex, limitless, confusing and beautiful.

I probably won't post tomorrow, unless something big happens. I promised to post on Friday but it'll likely be short. Remember to tell your friends and check in often, it keeps me going.

Thank you all. Tomorrow's Thanksgiving! Badassery will surely ensue!

Comment below and tell me what you are thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...