Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Happy Winter Times!

Yesterday was the 21st of December, which means all you Druids, Mayans, and astronomers must be recovering from one hell of a party. The winter solstice has come and gone, and the fourth and final season now begins!

If you don't know what the solstices are then stop reading and go bury your head in some sand.

It sure as shit felt like a short day (which was oddly satisfying); but that may have been because I woke up so late in the afternoon.

From here on out each day will get minutely longer (pun intended). The sun will bake the landscape for longer periods of time and it will inevitably become warmer as a result. At least that's what my intuition tells me should happen. I mean it only makes sense, sun is shining for longer, it must get warmer as a result, right?

Based off of that logic; what we call winter should be spring, spring should grow hotter and hotter like summer, and summer should be the cool off like winter is.

This pissed me off for the longest time!

Time for some fun information guys! Basically, being in a temperate climate fucks with everything.

You see down at the equator it's pretty straightforward. They really only have two seasons, the wet season and the dry season. The two coincide pretty well with winter and summer, respectively. Way to the north and south at the poles, the same is true but with a cold/dark and warm/light season.

The reason why temperatures change more slowly is because of seasonal lag, a phenomenon mainly caused by atmospheric conditions in given climates and, more importantly, the presence of water, which has a relatively high latent heat.

Basically, because water changes temperature without changing heat, we get some fucking retarded ass shit.

Seasonal lag is different for every place on earth. For example, San Francisco, which is surrounded by water on three sides, has a summer lag of almost three months, with temperatures spiking in late September and early October (makes no sense, I know).

I'm not very satisfied with this answer... I need more... someone explain it to me.

Until then I guess I'll just have to deal with it and have my coldest months in January and February. Science man...

Happy Winter times everyone! Let's strap down for some coldness! Also, hurray for Christmas coming up soon. I don't care if you're not Christian, fuck you Jesus was a saint, A SAINT!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...