Thursday, December 2, 2010

Pokemonth & the Inevitable Rise of Facebook Holidays

In case you didn't know, this December is the 2nd Annual Pokemonth (I'm pretty sure that I'm the first person to coin that term) and I expect all of you to participate. Basically, this entire idea started with this guy. I bet he and a couple of his pot-head friends got together and were all like, "Dude remember Pokemon!? Nostalgia right... we should post our favorite Pockeemen as our profile pictures for a whole month! Hell yeah..."

So Donte Larry created an event for the ages. A month long extravaganza inviting everyone to make their favorite pocket monsters as profile pictures. If I recall, it was a total hit. At least amongst weirdos like you and I (Yeah, I know my fucking demographic).

I had all but forgotten about Pokemonth; in fact I didn't even know it was something organized. I figured it was a random wave that suddenly and quickly spread through Facebook. Kinda like how things work when you get a group of people together and make them all anonymous, you know, supreme beauty out of utter chaos (or is it utter beauty out of supreme chaos?)

Fortunately for us it's back and better than ever! Our apparent goal is at least 500,000 confirmed attendees of this wondrous, month-long, celebration of total nostalgic geekdom. So, if you like Pokemon, join in and set your favorite one as your profile picture for the month. If you don't like Pokemon, then why the shit are you reading this blog!? Here.

Now for the half seriousness; I started to think about it and I realized that one day, when Facebook literally rules the world, events like these may just be like actual holidays. Perhaps millions, in stead of thousands, will partake in these immature yet impishly enjoyable celebrations of almost everything. It shows a sort of light in a way. We live in a dark world and people in generations like mine are keeping smiles alive.

Maybe one day, more meaningful and important holidays and celebrations will be officially and annually organized through Facebook, but until then, I think the ones we make up now are just fine.

Seeing as this is a Thursday post, and thus extraordinary, I would appreciate if you excused the ridiculous amount of links in this post!

Thank you for reading! Happy Hanukkah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...