Sunday, October 30, 2011

Felipe Massa not planning truce with Lewis Hamilton



Felipe Massa says he is not going to do any more to heal his rift with Lewis Hamilton after their latest clash at the Indian Grand Prix.
McLaren's Hamilton, already punished for two previous incidents between them, collided with Massa's Ferrari but it was the Brazilian who was penalised.
When asked what he could do to end the feud, Massa said: "Nothing from me."
Hamilton added: "He hasn't spoken to me in a long, long time. I made an effort and said good luck for the race."
Massa confirmed that the British driver had spoken to him on the grid after all 24 drivers observed a minute's silence in India to mark the deaths of Dan Wheldon and Marco Simoncelli.
But Massa, who lost the 2008 world title to Hamilton, said the Briton's comments were not a form of apology.

"Here after the one-minute silence he was [at] my side and he just said 'have a good race'," Massa explained.

HAMILTON V MASSA IN 2011


  • May 2011 - The pair bang wheels at the hairpin during the Monaco GP with Hamilton picking up a drive-through penalty
  • September 2011 - In qualifying for the Singapore GP, the duo nearly collide as they try to find clear air for their flying laps
  • September 2011 - In the race, Hamilton turns into Massa. The Brazilian suffers a puncture while Hamilton is handed a drive-through penalty
  • October 2011 - The two drivers have a minor brush at Suzuka with Hamilton accepting responsibility. The stewards take no action.
  • October 2011 - They are involved in a heavy collision in India, with Massa handed a drive-through penalty for turning in on Hamilton.
"So this is trying to what? 'Have a good race' is not part of talking or whatever."
Hamilton and Massa have clashed in a number of incidents this season, most notably in Monaco and Singapore, where Hamilton was blamed by officials and received drive-through penalties.
After the Singapore GP, the pair had an altercation in the media zone when Massa attempted to speak to Hamilton and he responded: "Don't touch me, man."
Referring to the post-race incident in Singapore, Massa said: "When I felt it was already too much what he was doing, he didn't want to speak to me."
But he added: "I don't have anything against him - nothing, zero."
Massa was clearly frustrated with the decision to penalise him, rather than Hamilton, for their coming together in India as they battled for fifth place.
Hamilton dived down the inside of Massa at the fast Turn Five but after the pair made contact the stewards ruled that the Brazilian had made a move instead of leaving room for Hamilton to pass.
But Massa argued: "My view is that I braked later than him, I was in front, I was on the grippy area and then I started to turn and I don't see him on my left.
"He is behind and then he touched my rear wheel. To be honest, I don't understand why I have the penalty."

ANDREW BENSON'S BLOG


Hamilton has been involved in some high-profile incidents, many of which have been his fault. But his collision with Massa in India on Sunday was not one of them
Read Andrew's blog
When pressed for further explanation, Massa contradicted his first answer, acknowledging he had seen Hamilton in his mirrors.
"I didn't do anything wrong. When I see he put the car on my side, I braked on the clean side and he was behind me. If he was wheel-to-wheel I would not try to close the door."
In discussing the stewards' reasoning, Massa commented: "They were not so sure as well."
Hamilton had signalled his view of the incident immediately on the pit-to-car radio, saying: "Felipe just turned in on me. He didn't give me any space."
He added after the race: "I tried to overtake, I tried to come out of it because he didn't look like he was going to give me any space, but we collided."
And his overall verdict on his weekend was succinct. "Disappointed would be an understatement," he said.
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh agreed Hamilton's race was "disappointing".
Whitmarsh said: "He and Felipe Massa are magnetic, they come together, but the stewards made a clear decision. It hurt Lewis - he had to come in and change tyres, his car was damaged but he had the discipline to bring it home for some points.
"Massa turned in and Lewis didn't have a chance. I'm sure others will feel differently. Lewis had a three-place penalty, I think he can do a better job than he is at the moment.
"He has two races left to demonstrate that he is a great racing driver."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...